Imagine a glistening scoop of smooth and rich chocolate ice cream! Makes your mouth water, right? This is the magic of ice cream. No matter who you are or what your age is, there is no way that you do not like ice cream. It is easy to eat, was available, and is presently available in all cultures in some way or the other.
While the store-bought ice creams are limited in flavor, when you start making ice cream at home, it opens new doors of possibilities. Making your own ice cream at home is a great way to incorporate new texture and flavors into your ice cream. However, to make ice cream at home, you do need an ice cream machine, without which it might be difficult to get smooth and well-churned ice cream at home.
Why Should You Make Ice Cream at Home?
Making ice cream at home is one of the most important hobbies that you can put your hands on. Ice Cream making is not particularly difficult and is actually a great activity to share with your partner or your kids. Homemade ice creams are way better because you can add fresh ingredients like hand-picked fruits and nuts. At the same time, ice cream at home means that you will not need to incorporate preservatives.
Industrial ice cream always contains preservatives that are not good for health in the long run. Even food-grade preservatives are not entirely good for you because they possess no nutritional value. On the other hand, when you make ice cream at home you can customize it exactly as you want and keep in mind your dietary specifications. With some practice, you will be able to produce the best ice creams at home!
Using an Ice Cream Maker Step by Step
Before you can start making delicious ice cream at home you will have to invest in an ice cream maker. Here is how to use an ice cream maker at home:
- The first step in using an ice cream maker to make ice cream at home is to freeze the bowl off the ice cream maker overnight. As a general rule of thumb, the colder the bowl the better your ice cream is going to be.
- For assembling your ice cream maker, you need to first take out the bowl from the freezer and then simply place it on the ice cream maker stand. Now put the beater inside and plug it into a power outlet.
- Your ice cream base should be prepared by this point. You must keep it in the refrigerator so that it gets time to set after it has been prepared. Once the ice cream maker has been assembled properly, pour the cold base into the bowl. Using a rubber spatula scrape the sides of the wall to reduce wastage and make sure that you have used the entirety of the ice cream base.
- Now it is time to start the churning process. Churning is the main function of an ice cream machine. It is used to emulsify the ice cream base so it becomes thick and rich. Start the churning process and continue until the ice cream base becomes as thick as a soft serve. Make sure it is thicker than an average milkshake but not thinner than a soft serve.
- Basically, when the mixture becomes difficult to churn it is a sign that the process is complete. It generally takes about 20 minutes for most average machines to finish churning ice cream. However, you must always check the instructions for your particular ice cream maker model
- Once the ice cream is done and resembles the consistency of a soft-serve you can add all other toppings and flavorings. This can include everything from nuts, fruits cut into chunks for nuts. People also add peanut butter, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, sprinkles, and more to create an interesting swirl pattern throughout the ice cream.
- It is now time to put your ice cream in a freezer-safe container. Make sure that the container has an airtight lid and is safe and secure. Tupperware containers are best suited for storing ice cream. First, make sure that you remove the churner from the mixing bowl, and then you can slowly remove the bowl.
- Again, use a rubber spatula to clean the bowl and transfer all the ice cream into the container. You can put a wax paper sheet on the surface of the ice cream to prevent the development of a thin film of fat over the ice cream. It is also important for preventing ice crystal formation. Cling wrap and plastic paper may also be utilized for this purpose.
- Now you have to simply make sure that the ice cream has frozen and become solid. Keep the container closed and place It inside a freezer for at least 4 hours. Once the ice cream is frozen and has reached the consistency of a liking, dig in!
Tips To Make Ice Cream at Home
If you have just started making ice cream at home, here are a few expert tips that will help you make ice cream like a pro:
- Keep everything cold: one of the simplest yet effective ways of getting perfect ice cream every time is to make sure that your ingredients and the bowl are chilled. You must plan ice cream ahead of time to make sure that you have plenty of time to make sure all the ingredients are cold. For best results make sure that all components wise cream making have been in the fridge for at least overnight to reach the ideal temperature.
- Care for your machine: you have to keep your machine in top-notch condition for having excellent ice cream every time. Cleaning and taking care of your ice cream machine is not that difficult. The paddles and the other attachments can be washed directly in a dishwasher without any fuss.
However, for the bowl, you need to be a little more cautious. Make sure that you provide enough time for it to cool down completely before you immerse it in hot water for cleaning. The temperature difference can cause immense damage to the bowl which might not be fixable.
Make the most luxurious and delicate ice cream at home with an ice cream maker. Try out classic combos but don’t be afraid of experimenting and finding new flavors of amazing ice cream.